Owning a home is an expensive endeavor, which is why it’s important to try to save money wherever you can. One thing New Jersey homeowners often overlook are the various ways they can make their heating system more efficient, which in turn saves money on energy bills. A poorly performing heating system can cause dramatic increases in energy bills, so keeping it optimized and running properly is a great way to save money.
Heating System Efficiency
Below are a few tips that can help you keep your heating system running efficiently.
1. Changing Your Filter: It might seem simple and insignificant, but regularly changing your furnace’s air filter can save you money. Not only does it improve the airflow and efficiency of your furnace, it also improves the air quality in your home. Additionally, when you change your air filter your furnace doesn’t have to work as hard to circulate air throughout your home. This means your furnace isn’t as stressed and will experience less wear and tear in the long run.
2. Upgrade Your Thermostat: There are hundreds of options in terms of programmable thermostats and as a result their advantages are well known to most. By automatically turning down the temperature in your home by 10 – 15 degrees while you’re not there can save you more than 10% on your heating bill. Whether you purchase a simple programmable thermostat or a more advanced one like the NEST you can optimize your heating systems and immediately start saving money.
3. Keep Your Vents Clear: When warm air blows out of your vents it needs a clear path into the room that it’s heating. If the vents are blocked by furniture then that heat is being absorbed by the furniture and your furnace has to work harder and longer to heat your home. By working harder your furnace is increasing your energy bills, and by simply rearranging your furniture so all vents are clear you can reduce the cost of your energy bills.
4. Lock Your Doors & Windows: When you lock your doors and windows they pull together even tighter than they do when they’re just closed. Most people typically lock up at night while they’re sleeping, but ensuring that your doors and windows are always locked adds an extra bit of sealing to your home that can keep more heat in and more cold out.
5. Regular Maintenance: Whether you heat your home with a furnace, a boiler or another heat source it’s important to schedule regular maintenance to ensure they’re running efficiently. When your heating appliances are running efficiently they use less energy as they work to heat your home, which saves you money.
Optimize Your Home Heating System
There are numerous things every homeowner can do to ensure that their heating system is optimized to properly heat their home while using as little energy as possible. For more information about how you can save money on your heating system contact PFO today: 1-800-253-9001.