When Do You Know?
When something goes wrong with your air conditioner or furnace, one of the biggest questions is knowing when to repair or replace your unit. When facing this dilemma, it’s important to consider all options and research, learn and prepare for all possibilities. Our Air Conditioning experts at Princeton Fuel have provided some pro tips below to start you off:
Repairing an HVAC Unit
There are many times when repairing an air conditioner is the right choice. Professional repair is essential to the safety and reliability of heating and cooling equipment. Here are a couple of factors to consider when making a decision to repair your air conditioner:
• Does your HVAC unit still have some life left in it? If the air conditioner is well under 10 years old or if the furnace is well under 15 years old repairing is a good option. If the unit is too old, replacement parts may become very expensive or even impossible to find.
• Has the furnace or air conditioner been well maintained and serviced over the years? Regular maintenance and tune-ups will ensure efficient HVAC performance and improve the condition of the unit.
• Have there been a number of breakdowns? Keep a record of what parts need maintenance and log when it happens to provide these details to the PFO HVAC professionals. If breakdowns occur often, replacement might end up being the better option.
Replacing an HVAC Unit
Making the decision to replace an entire heating or air conditioning system is a big one. Cost tends to be one of the main concerns. Keep in mind that although repairing a unit may be the cheaper option in the short term, this could lead to much higher expenses in the future. The new, high-efficiency furnaces and air conditioners run on much less energy thereby saving you money on monthly utility bills. Below are few things to consider when deciding to replace your HVAC system:
• Consider the age of the unit: If the furnace is close to or more than 15 years old or the air conditioner is close to or more than 10 years old, replacing is usually your best bet.
• If your air conditioning equipment needs repair often and has a history of problems, consult with your HVAC professionals like those at PFO to give you review your situation.
• Utility bills on the rise? This may signal that the unit is working extra hard to maintain programed temperatures and can be a sure sign that replacement is needed.
• Have a programmable thermostat installed. This ensures temperatures are kept constant during certain pre-programmed times of the day and night. This is particularly helpful when the house is empty for a period of time.
• Insure that there is adequate insulation in all of the rooms. Rooms that get too cold or hot use more energy and costs more energy in the long run.
• Schedule yearly maintenance checks. Professionals will make sure all equipment is installed correctly and running smoothly. They will also ensure the duct work and air movement is flowing properly.
• Replace your air filter regularly and keep the home relatively clean. Extra dust and particles will directly affect the air ducts and the furnace.
Consult with the HVAC Professionals at PFO
If it’s not an emergency situation, take some time to research all of the options. Does it make sense to invest in a new unit now or repair and wait awhile? All situations are different and so are the decisions. For help in answering questions regarding your furnace or air conditioning unit, please contact the HVAC experts at or 1-800-253-9001.