Can you imagine slashing your energy bills right in winter without turning into a frozen popsicle? Believe us—it is actually possible. We’ve put together a list of handy tips that can help cut your heating bill by as much as 20 percent and save on your heating system costs. Each tip is quick and easy to carry out and any material that is required is inexpensive, so you can quickly enjoy a nice return on your investment.
14 Handy Heating System Saving Tips
- Open your curtains, blinds, and drapes when the sun comes up to heat your home naturally. As soon as the sun goes down, close them again to avoid losing heat through those drafty windows.
- Opt for greener living by installing and closing storm windows. The newer glass has been designed to decrease radiant heat loss while keeping visibility as it should be. If you’re on a budget, consider sealing the windows with a window insulator kit from the local hardware store.
- Caulk the exterior spaces between the walls and windows of your house. If they were caulked a long time ago, have them re-caulked.
- Have your pipes insulated to prevent them freezing over and making your heating system work harder.
- Be sure to have decent insulation in your ceiling, exterior walls and floors.
- Eliminate gaps between the threshold and door by attaching a seal to the bottom of the door.
- Keep the fireplace damper, kitchen vent, and even closet doors closed, and when you’re not using air conditioning units and vents, cover or remove them.
- Avoid placing furniture in front of your heating system to allow the heat to circulate.
- Have your furnace serviced regularly to ensure maximum performance every year.
- If your heating system is older than 20 years, it’s time to consider replacing it. Newer, efficient versions can cut costs by as much as 25 percent.
- If you a have an old fashion thermostat, turn it down when you are not at home and also at night. Lowering it slightly can save you a few percent on the bill.
- Consider having a programmable WiFi thermostat installed and enjoy lower energy costs almost immediately.
- Consider installing a tankless hot water heater; they heat and deliver hot water directly, responding in real time to the demands of a sink, shower, etc. And have been shown to be 24-34% more efficient than traditional water heaters.
- If your heating system uses ultra-low sulfur, biofuels can be blended to create a more eco-friendly fuel that emits less emissions and is just as effective.
Let Us Help Save You Money
Princeton Fuel Oil can assist with selecting, installing, and maintaining your heating system while you enjoy lower energy bills. We offer a range of customized service plans for your convenience.
By having the right equipment that is properly maintained and regularly serviced, your heating system will perform optimally, saving you money over time.
Feel free to call us at (800) 253-9002 or visit us online to learn more ways to saving on your energy bills today.