Many types of mini-splits are available on the market. Out of all of them, most homeowners purchase and install wall-mounted systems. Even if this is the case, a wall-mounted ductless unit isn’t always the right option. Large open areas require more cooling and heating power – more than the wall- or floor-mounted systems can provide. When you need more coverage for your large residential or commercial space, a suspended ductless mini-split could be what you are looking for. It is a convenient and flexible solution for your large game room, showroom, gym, restaurant, and other large residential or commercial spaces.
When To Choose A Suspended Ductless Unit
- 1 When To Choose A Suspended Ductless Unit
- 1.1 Installing A Ductless Suspended Mini-Split
- 1.2 Pros Of A Suspended Ductless Mini-Split System
- 1.3 Other Features & Accessories Of The Suspended Ductless HVAC System
- 1.4 Check Out One Of Our Ductless Installation Projects
- 1.5 Conclusion
- 2 Call PFO Heating & Air Conditioning To Learn More About Ductless HVAC Systems
A suspended ductless mini-split has adequate cooling and heating power that lets air flow throughout lengthy distances. Unlike with floor- or wall-mounted systems, you do not need to install a lot of indoor air units to condition an ample space effectively. Therefore, a ceiling-suspended unit is an excellent choice if you want a unit that can consistently heat or cool the entire expanse of your large room or office.
It is also the recommended choice for rooms that cannot accommodate the installation of a wall-mounted ductless unit or other HVAC units. For instance, you might have a shop that has glass walls. There is no spot in the wall where an HVAC unit can be installed. Unless the ceiling is also made of glass or other flimsy material, then a mini-split installed on the ceiling is the likely option.
A ductless ceiling suspended unit is also beneficial to commercial structures. Spaces such as gyms, lobbies, call centers, and the like can’t be conditioned by wall- or floor-mounted systems. These broad areas need a unit that can provide adequate conditioned air for them to remain comfortable.
A suspended unit is also ideal for offices that are divided by cubicles. The cubicle walls will block the airflow of a wall-mounted unit. Therefore, the conditioned air won’t be able to reach some areas of the room. A ceiling suspended system will be able to circulate air more evenly throughout your ample office space and effectively prevent any cold or hot spots.
Installing A Ductless Suspended Mini-Split
This type of unit can be installed by securing it onto the ceiling. It can also be attached to threaded rods so that it is suspended from the ceiling. If there are other appliances installed on your ceiling, it is best to hang the unit via the rods so that the air can be circulated properly. However, keep in mind that the indoor air handler must be no less than eight feet above the floor. Otherwise, it won’t work as it should.
A ductless suspended unit should also be secured on an outdoor wall that faces the most extended length of the room. Rest assured that it has enough HVAC power to allow the even distribution of air from one end to the other. Placing it against an outside wall will also make connecting the indoor unit to the outdoor unit easier. It will allow the HVAC contractor to run the line set, drain tube, and connecting wire directly through a small hole on the wall and, thus, connect the two parts of the mini-split.
Avoid installing the air handler on areas near televisions, microwaves, or any device that has electromagnetic interference. This tends to disrupt the communication between your indoor unit and the remote. When this happens, you’ll have a hard time adjusting the settings of your unit using your remote.
Another thing to avoid is installing the indoor air handler in a place that is directly hit by sunlight. This is because the temperature sensor in the unit won’t function properly. When this happens, the air that the air handler will release can be either too much or too little. This will then lead to an uncomfortable home or office space.
Pros Of A Suspended Ductless Mini-Split System
Ceiling suspended HVAC systems provide many advantages to homes and offices they are installed in. Several benefits are listed below:
- Easy To Install – Traditional HVAC units need ducts to operate effectively and efficiently. On the other hand, ceiling suspended mini-splits only require a three-inch hole where so that the conduit that connects the outdoor and indoor units can go through. It is a non-invasive installation process that typically lasts only a few hours. This makes ceiling suspended units easier to install.
- Customizable Zones – Mini-splits let you have more than one indoor air handler. This means you can choose to have single- or multi-zones. Multiple zones allow you to personalize your home heating and cooling following your family’s various home comfort needs.
- Highly Efficient – Several mini-split make and models have inverters. This energy-saving inverter technology reduces your utility bills without sacrificing comfort. Another thing that makes suspended mini-splits highly efficient is because it does not use ducts to circulate air. Air leaks, friction loss, and other design issues that cause energy loss via the ductwork are eliminated this way.
- Aesthetically Pleasing Design – Ceiling suspended units are ideal for homeowners who value aesthetics. Due to its installation location, it is mostly out of sight. It also has a modern design that lets it blend with the interior design of your home.
- Clean & Fresh Air – Suspended ductless units have an air filtration system that ensures dust, debris, and other pollutants are not distributed throughout your home. You can rest easy knowing that the air you breathe inside your home is fresh and clean when you have a mini-split in place.
Other Features & Accessories Of The Suspended Ductless HVAC System
Suspended ductless mini-splits are not made the same as they have different features that cater to different needs. There are also many available add-ons that you can install on your unit to customize it so that it fits what you specifically need. Here are some of the extra features and accessories for your mini-split that will allow you optimum and custom use.
Universal Wall Mounting Capabilities
There are some mini-splits on the market that have universal wall mounting capabilities. Therefore, you can secure the unit at the bottom of the wall or let it hang from the ceiling. A downside to this feature is that a universally mountable system has less airflow power compared to systems that are solely built for ceiling suspension.
How you control your mini-split depends on the manufacturer. It might come with a wall-mounted control or a wireless remote. There are also smart controls available on the market. This add-on lets you connect your mini-split to the Wi-Fi and manage it through a downloadable application on your smartphone or tablet. This way, you can control your system even if you are miles away from home.
Also called lift pumps, this add-on helps you to remove the water formed during the cooling process. When your mini-split cannot eliminate condensate through the drain tube and gravity alone, then it will require a condensate pump. Check the installation manual or talk to an HVAC contractor to ensure that the condensate pump you purchase is compatible with the mini-split you have.
Fresh Air Supply
An HVAC contractor can install a suspended ductless unit with a fresh air supply duct and fan. This will ensure that you enjoy fresh air throughout your home while also maintaining home comfort and safety.
Check Out One Of Our Ductless Installation Projects
If you are looking for a mini-split system that can effectively and efficiently condition your ample open space, then a ceiling suspended ductless mini-split may work best for you. Whether you have a showroom, gym, office area, or the like, rest assured that this mini-split has the heating and cooling power to keep you comfortable year-round.
Make sure to ask assistance from a professional HVAC technician. An expert has the knowledge, skills, and experience to ensure that you buy a unit that meets all your home comfort needs. Likewise, they will be able to install your ductless unit quickly and correctly.
Call PFO Heating & Air Conditioning To Learn More About Ductless HVAC Systems
For all your HVAC system needs, call PFO Heating & Air Conditioning today. Our technicians are all NATE-certified, and they have a great deal of experience. They’ll also determine what your home comfort needs are and find the best and most affordable solutions to meet them.
As a full-service HVAC company, PFO Heating & Air Conditioning offers an array of HVAC services. This includes heating and cooling installations, tuneups, repairs, and much more. We offer free, in-home consultations. Call now to schedule an appointment.