Fuel oil helps ensure that your home stays warm, safe, and comfortable. Therefore, you should never run out of heating oil, especially during the year’s coldest days. Harsh weather can result in delayed oil deliveries. It is crucial that you are aware of any changes if you opt for cash-on-delivery or will-call deliveries.
You might also be wondering whether you need to purchase a heating oil tank that is larger when you need a replacement. You will need to determine if your current heating oil tank size still meets the requirements of your home’s oil consumption. This article discusses the importance of heating oil tank size to meet your home heating needs.
The Importance Of Oil Tank Size
- 1 The Importance Of Oil Tank Size
- 2 Call PFO Heating & Air Conditioning For Reliable Heating Oil Deliveries
Many households widely use heating oil to ensure their homes stay warm. It is better if you know your home heating needs and fuel consumption habits if heating oil systems are used as your main heat source. This way, you can correctly determine the oil tank that best fits your home. Moreover, when you know the size of your oil tank, you can decide early on when to schedule a fuel delivery.
The following are several reasons it is essential to know the size of your oil storage tank:
- Find Out How Much Heating Oil Left: When you know the size of your tank, you’ll also be able to determine the amount of heating oil left in it. Some older tanks aren’t equipped with built-in gauges that tell you when you have a low oil supply. A simple calculation can help you determine how much oil you have left if this is the case.
- Amount Of Fuel Oil To Buy: You can know how much oil you have to buy to get you through the cold season if you know the oil tank size and how much oil is left. This allows you to plan and budget appropriately.
- Understand Your Heating Oil Consumption Better: You can become a more conscious consumer by understanding your home’s heating oil consumption level. It also helps you with better heat conservation.
- Avoid Running Out Of Home Heating Oil: Making sure you don’t run out of oil is crucial by knowing your oil tank’s size. This way, you’ll stay warm despite the frigid temperatures outside. Remember that having a cold house can be dangerous, especially if there are elderly and children living with you.
When Get A Home Oil Tank Upgrade
Many considerations need to be made when upgrading your current oil tank. It is also helpful to know why. This will help you to determine the size you need easily. Several reasons are:
- The existing heating oil tank in your home is defective and old.
- There are changes in your home heating needs. For instance, your family might have grown larger in number, so you need a larger tank.
- Bulk buying means more discounts and lower heating oil prices. You might want to take advantage of this, so you need a larger oil tank to do so.
Common Sizes For Home Heating Oil Tanks
First, you must know how measurements work when it comes to the sizes of your heating oil tank. For instance, an oil tank’s capacity refers to how much oil it will take to fill it. Gallons are used to measure your residential oil tank capacity. The size can also refer to the tank’s measurements in inches, namely its depth, width, and height. You can use these measurements to know the capacity of your tank.
It is recommended that you find out the capacity of your current tank. Older tanks typically don’t have labels where their sizes are indicated. If you have an older tank, you can use a measuring tape to determine its size. On the other hand, modern tanks usually have size labels, so it is easier for you.
A residential heating oil tank has a standard size of 275 gallons. It also comes in other sizes, such as 288, 340, 420, 500, 550, 675, and 1000 gallons. It can also be as big as over 30,000 gallons, which tend to be utilized for large commercial spaces.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Heating Oil Tank
Various factors affect the heating oil tank size you should purchase. However, it is primarily determined by how much heating oil your home consumes. Here are several factors to help you find the correct oil tank size that best fits your home:
- Heating Oil Tank Spacing Requirements: If you want to upsize your oil tank, determine your current tank’s physical size first. This way, you’ll know whether you have room to accommodate a bigger one.
- Number Of Occupants: The larger your family is, the more heat your household requires. This means you will use more oil during the winter as more people join your family. Therefore, a bigger tank is needed to ensure everyone in your family stays warm and comfy.
- Your Home’s Size: A general guide to follow when determining the oil tank size you should get is the number of rooms your house has. Smaller tanks are typically enough for one-to-two-bedroom homes, while bigger tanks are needed for five-bedroom homes.
- Fuel Oil Consumption Habits: Consider your family’s heating habits. You could be a conscious consumer who only consumes a low heating oil amount. Your vacation times should be factored in as well. If you are usually out on vacation during the winter season, you will save more on your heating oil consumption.
- Emergency Preparation: Have at least a 20% leeway when it comes to your fuel use. This way, any emergency that might happen is accounted for. For instance, there could be a snowstorm that could hinder your home’s next oil delivery. You might have to wait a while to receive the next oil delivery.
Use A Professional For The Oil Tank Installation
Once you know your family’s heating oil needs, you can better decide the tank size that best fits your home. Call a certified heating oil tank provider to help you with the installation. A qualified professional will ensure that the process goes smoothly and safely, including making sure that you choose the right heating oil tank size for your needs.
A professional heating oil tank installer will also ensure that the tank is positioned in the best place in your home. The site should be easily accessible and properly secured to a solid foundation. This is a crucial aspect as it prevents problematic situations from occurring. The professional will also keep your tank from dangerous exposures from temperature drops that can cause your heating oil tank to freeze. A professional oil tank installation company will take all these risks into account using the necessary industry-standard protocols.
Deciding on your home’s oil tank size means many considerations need to be made. Seek assistance from your local, trusted heating technician. This way, you can be sure that the entire process, including the oil tank removal and installation, is easy and convenient.
Call PFO Heating & Air Conditioning For Reliable Heating Oil Deliveries
When you’re searching for a reputable heating oil delivery company, you can contact PFO Heating & Air Conditioning.
We offer the best home heating oil delivery and the most reasonable heating oil prices in the area. Our team of expert technicians also provides HVAC services to help improve the performance and efficiency of your heating equipment. Should you require a new heating oil tank for your home or office, you can trust our experts to find the best one to meet your needs.
Call PFO Heating & Air Conditioning today and learn more about the services we offer. We will be happy to answer all your questions and concerns.